Late last week, EPA issued a Notice of Data Availability concerning its proposed rule for cooling water intake structures at existing facilities. The NODA stated that, since it had issued the proposed CWIS rule, it had received more than 80 studies providing additional data on CWIS structures at existing facilities. Those studies have led EPA to consider potential revisions to the rule prior to promulgation.
Some of the specific revisions now under consideration include:
- The addition of site-specific impingement mortality controls
- Compliance with impingement mortality limitations based on defined technologies such as closed cycle recirculating systems
- Streamlined permitting for modified traveling screens
- Clarification of credit for existing technologies
- Potential limited exemptions for facilities with low impingement rates
In response,… More